Monday, February 4, 2008

Super Brawl

Hello Students.

Professor: here.

I don't know if any of you folks heard about this, but supossedly there were three men gunned down outside a bar last night after what witnesses said was an argument about the superbowl. I know what you are thinking...what a stupid thing to kill somebody (or bodies) over. And trust me, The Professor agrees. But...I am certainly surprised not to see this kind of thing happen more often. How many of us have our favorite sports team that we root heavily for? I know I do. And I've certainly FELT like killing some ignorant fans of other teams as they rub it in about how much better their team is then my own. I think there is a natural, inherent, human response to that kind of talk: wanting to rip the other guys throat out. Of course I would never actually do that, but the feeling is there.

And why do we have that feeling? Is it because we live vicariously through our sports heroes? Is it that they represent our home town? Do they represent what many of us might be missing in our own lives? A victory bigger then life? Maybe it all comes down to money: fantasy league got you down? Whatever it is, it is strong and as sad as it is that three people needlessly dies last night due to a game, I still got to wonder how it wasn't more.

Heck, now I can't wait for the Oscars! If Ellen Page doesn't win...there will be blood!!!!

Dismissed

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just wait for the general elections. Heck, we are only in the primaries, and friends and family of the same political party are already at each other's throats. Look here. Sadly, this scenario could easily spin out of control as November approaches, and a more sharply defined "us versus them" mindset sets in.

"For want of the price of tea and a slice / the old man died."

--bmw

Plaird said...

So what's the line then, between the feeling and the actual action? Is it just self-control, or is it something more?